8 Points to Remember about Homesickness
- Homesickness is the distress (usually mild sadness or nervousness) that people feel when they miss home.
- Mild homesickness is normal. Almost all children have some mild homesick feelings when they are away, but…
- Severe homesickness is rare.
- Talking about homesickness does not cause homesickness, nor make it worse.
- There are many things to think and do before leaving home to lessen homesickness.
- There are even more things to think and do during camp to lessen homesickness.
- Homesick feelings are good in the sense that they reflect the love you have for things at home.
- Homesickness, and getting over it, is a normal process that helps young people gain independence and self-confidence.
©2009 by Jon Malinowski & Christopher Thurber. All rights reserved.
No part of this website may be copied or used in any way without permission. If you wish to share the content of this site, please link to http://summercamphandbook.com or contact us for licensing.