Homesickness Do’s and Don’ts
- Do practice walking around your yard or house at night with a flashlight. Wear shoes or sandals, just like you will at camp.
- Do practice talking with other kids and adults about how you feel. Tell them what’s on your mind!
- Do bring something special from home to camp, if you think it will make you feel good.
- Do bring pre-stamped and pre-addressed envelopes, so you’ll be ready to write letters.
- Do pack and shop for camp with your parents. When kids and parents prepare together, it’s more fun.
- Do go over the opening day of camp in your head. When will you leave the house? Who will be coming in the car? The fewer surprises, the better. If plans do change, go with the flow.
- Don’t just wish for things to be different. Do something that helps you deal with your homesick feelings.
- Don’t give up. Lots of things help. Keep trying. You can do it!
- Don’t just cry or get mad all by yourself. Go talk with someone you trust.
No part of this website may be copied or used in any way without permission. If you wish to share the content of this site, please link to http://summercamphandbook.com or contact us for licensing.